Monday, August 30, 2010

Malawi Update

Well, so far I have had very little down time, which is a good thing, but I do wish I had a little more time to write some blogs.
Me and Andrew had a successful stay in Kudoko village the other night, we got there a bit after lunch and transported a projector and generator so we could show a film, which was the first time many of them had seen a film. It was good to be around the kids of the village again, after spending so much time with children in Uganda I was really needing to be back in that atmosphere. I feel like Ive become so comfortable around what I would earlier have considered to be uncomfortable situations. Being able to just jump in and dance around like a maniac with these people is a cool thing.
The film went really late and we didn’t end up eating dinner until it was absolutely pitch black out. It gets so dark out in the village and yet the locals seem to be able to see fine, as I trip over every little stone. I ate three large n’simas which put me into a nice little food coma.
We got the opportunity to sleep in the chiefs hut, the ground was freezing and I don’t know how they sleep on such a hard rocky surface. My sleeping bag went up to the middle of my chest, and my mosquito net covered from the top of my chest to the top of my head… there aren’t too many tall people here.
Obviously it wasn’t the best night of sleep, but I did get some sleep. I found out in the morning that the weird noises I was hearing at night was actually the ducks that they let sleep inside the house. I woke up to a bunch of kids poking their heads into the window and staring at me as I lay there groggily at first light.
For breakfast we went to the trading center a few miles from town and bought some bread and tea, with the bread traditionally being dunked into the tea, it was actually pretty good.
In the morning it was more joy and fun playing with the kids and then participating in the community center, teaching and helping with the feeding program.
Me and Andrew are making great progress with the internship program and helping out Flood Malawi in various ways. I have been loving leading devotions in the morning and various events throughout the week.
I cant believe how little time we have left, it will be interesting and busy on this last leg of the trip as we prepare for whats next.
That’s all the time I have now, hope all is well at home.
-Kyle

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a great time! you're doing some great things in this world brother
    cant wait to have you back home though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Kaudy...so hysterically tall. Hope the mosquitos didn't get to you!! I hope you are keeping your journal up to date. I can't wait to hear the live recounting of your trip. Your home SOOONNN!!!!! YAY!!!! I love you Kronge

    Myner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear the trip is going well kyle. IMUfriend

    ReplyDelete