Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Time to enjoy Barcelona

I am still a little upset about the whole camera thing, but not nearly as much as I was when it first happened. Thanks for everyones encouragement.

Barcelona is actually a very pretty city. It isnt quite what I expected, which was more of a smaller beachy town. Barca is massive, and very urban. There is so much to see here, and do. I am living right off of La Ramba street which is a famous street that is lined with flower shops and those creepy people that dress up like statues and expect to get money. They are the most elaborate costumes Ive seen so far which is saying a lot. The weather has been so so, with scattered rain so I havent been able to appreciate the beach.

Well when I was feeling my worst, I had some good things happen to me. I ran into Mitra and her family who were in Barcelona and got to hang out with them for a little while. We went to the church of the Sacred Family which is unlike any other cathedral ive seen so far. After seeing so many different churches they all kind of start to look the same in certain ways. However since this cathedral was designed by Gaudi it is wayyy different. It is very nature inspired and quite pretty. The outside is very modern and almost abstract looking. The spires are decorated unlike any others Ive seen as well. The inside looks like a forest, with the columns holding up the roof made to look like tree trunks in a way, and the top can be seen to look like leaves. Very cool. Pretty much all of Gaudis work around the city is really cool, and I have only just started to see it.

I ran into another friend that I met in Paris, just by chance, and she told me about a spanish guitar concert that night which she wanted to go to. We ended up doing that, which was amazing, and afterwards she took me flaminco dancing, which of course I wasnt very good at, but started to get the hang of a little bit. The sangria is amazing here, however I do miss the food in Italy. By far the best and cleanest food Ive had this trip. I had the best pasta, the best pesto, the best pizza, the best steak, the best lasagna, and the best sandwiches that I have ever tasted. After having sea food risoto in Italy, the pallea in spain is only average.

Tonight I am going to the FC Barcelona vs. FC Bayern Munchen football match. It is the semifinal of the Champions League, which for anyone that doesnt know is kind of a big deal. Its like Im going to the NFC Championship game x100. The ticket was a little expensive but its a once in a life time experience.

My friend Sean is also in Barcelona now and we will probably meet up tomorrow, althought I have a feeling he might be going to the football match as well. Its pretty cool how I have all these contacts around Europe now haha. Its like I am hardly traveling alone. My hostel is full of a group of Germans and a group of Irish people, they are all really noisy and think its amusing that I am German and Irish and living in the same room as all of them.

As far as coming home early goes, I suppose that was just me being upset. I did see everything I set out to see, and did everything I set out to do. At this point I would have to fly to other destinations, which would be a bit costly. Ive already spent so much money on this trip and I have tried to budget myself very well. I havent bought any clothes or touristy souveniers. Half because they are expensive and half because I dont want to carry them around everywhere.

Sorry to bring everyone down with that last post. I am still enjoying my travels and nothing will take that away from me.

CIAO
-Kyle

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kyle,
    I am so happy that you decided to finish out your trip. You have had such good fortune up until that experience. A backpacker is vulnerable since all of your belongings are on your back. Also being tired and disoriented didn't help. There is always the bad with the good and you have had so much good. Don't know if you are planning to spend more time in Spain but Sevilla and Granada are both wonderful. Hope your high school Spanish is coming in handy. We miss you! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. lemme know how that futbol match was, i bet it was such a crazy game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyle - am so glad to read that you are recovering from your traumatic experience - and that you have decided to finish up your trip. I have been thinking of you and hoping you wouldn't let that be your last memory of an otherwise spectacular trip! You need to go out there and prove to yourself that you can overcome anything and let this just be a "blip" on the radar. I hope you went and bought yourself another cheap camera so you can get pictures of the grand finale of your trek. It is so amazing to me that you keep running into people you know and have met through your travels in places you aren't expecting. How wonderful and comforting for you. Even though you are thousands of miles away from those you love and who love you - you are never alone! I can't wait to see you Flamenco dance for me this summer - and I'm sure the soccer game was so much fun! Anyway - am glad you are getting yourself back together - and we can only grow and mature from all experiences life has to give. Enjoy - Hasta luega :) Love, Leli

    ReplyDelete