Friday, March 6, 2009

Switzerland

Switzerland is so incredibly beautiful. The hostel I stayed at is pretty world famous and I met a lot of good people there. I was super excited to do some snowboarding. I was suprised at how wide open the mountain is. We snowboarded on Jungfrau which I believe is the tallest mountain in Europe, or one of them, because they kept calling it the top of Europe. Anyway there are no trees on any of the runs which I am definately not used to. The swiss also ski kind of weird, no one really goes super fast down the mountain, and instead just try and make sure they have perfect form. No one skies when it snows either. So the first day it was nice a clear and there wasnt really many people there, and the second day when it was snowing and full of powder there was no one on the mountain.
The snow isnt as good as Utah or California but the scenery can not be matched. The views from the mountain are incredible. The Alps are so steep and massive that wherever you look there is a giant face stareing back at you. So I snowboarded 2 days with a couple of guys I met, and afterward had some good times in the bar. Also went on a 60 km bike ride around one of the lakes of Interlaken with some crazy Canadian triathalon chick. It is a pretty cool town, and would be fun to come back to in the Summer to do some skydiving or cliff jumping or something.
I am in Austria now and my hostel is 50 m from the nearest lift to the top of the mountain, and 50 m in the other direction are some world famous hot springs to relax in after skiing all day. Its snowing now and tomorrow will be nothing but powder.
Really need to get some sleep and the computers here are expensive and you cant upload pictures so this post is a little lack luster. Oh well.

3 comments:

  1. Did you end up staying at Balmers? I remember drinking at their bar... Also, did you check out the ice tunnels at Jungfrau? Okay, so if you were looking up towards the alps, did you ride around the lake on the right or the left.. I rode around the one on the left.. I hope you did the same, that would be cute. IMU

    ReplyDelete
  2. your meeting some really cool people, snowboarding sounds so bomb. i bet that bike ride was tough with that gnarly canadian chick hahahaha

    hope you got some sweet pics of the scenery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds beautiful sweetheart. I am happy you are meeting some really nice people. What a wonderful adventure!! Muuaahhhh

    ReplyDelete