Sunday, March 8, 2009

This is unreal

Snowboarding post.

Starting off in Switzerland, I got there and there was more or less a blizzard. Luckily I didnt arrive in Interlaken until the night so none of my plans were ruined. I met a nice guy named Dylan and we decided to go skiing together. He is a pretty good skier and we decided that it would be better to ski with some one the next day because there was such a high risk of avalanch. Anyway we woke up bright and early for the free breakfast and were amazed to see that it was perfectly clear out. The mountain was empty for some reason. The cool thing about Jungrau is that there are these alpine trains that take you up to the summit. And there are a couple of runs where you can ride all the way from the top of the mountain to the bottom and take the train all the way to the top again. Its about an hour cycle to do that trip. Another cool thing is that when you do that run you end up going through a couple of small mountain towns on your way to the bottom. So I am crossing roads and bridges on icey snow covered paths on my way to the bottom. It was pretty cool. The mountain is definately a skiiers mountain because there are several flat sections where poles would come in really handy. It was no big deal though because I would just have to avoid those sections. Anyway I skiied there a couple days and it was amazing. Honestly not the best snow or runs but you cant beat the views.

Austria was the best snowboarding I have ever seen. I think I was lucky because I got here just after a huge storm, and the two days I snowboarded we had perfect visabiliy and some nice sun on one of the days. The off piste action was amazing here, the powder was knee high in most sections. The groomed runs were also amazing and there wasnt too many bumpy sections. Sunday was the best day of snowboarding I have had. The sun was out, everything was beautiful and the runs were in perfect condition. The bottom of the mountain got a bit slushy towards the end but other than that I was in heaven. I went on the longest run in Europe a 11 kilometer run from the top of the mountain down to a small town. I actually ended up doing it 4 times because the cable car that takes you back to the mountain was pretty quick. I would have to take the cable car then 2 more ski lifts to get back to the top of the run but it was worth it. I cant wait to upload a couple of pictures from the mountains. The place I am staying at here in Austria I thought was too good to be true, but its not. This really is unreal, I could not have pictured a more ideal place to stay, and its only 15 euros a night. Plus they give you a voucher to rent a board and boots for only another 13 euros a day. They also have one of the better free breakfasts with all you can eat nutella, honey, bread, cereal, milk, orange juice, cheeses, and cold cut meats. Dad will be happy to know that I skiied from 9 (opening) to 43ß (closing) everyday without taking a break for lunch.

I am going to Vienna or Wien tomorrow to recover. I am sooo exhausted from all the non stop boarding, and I dont think I could go all out for another day of riding. The cost of boarding and renting all my gear tends to add up as well. A friend of mine that I met in Munich let me know that she was going to be in Vienna with some friends she met in Prague, so it looks like Ill be going to the opera tomorrow with them. Its nice having no itinerary at all. People get so jealous when I tell them that I really have no idea where I will be next, and its always nice to change plans when a friend comes along.

7 comments:

  1. Ok....it's really scaring me that everytime you go to the slopes no one is there....could it be they all know something you don't know! Like maybe you shouldn't be skiing on the slopes today?!! I don't know! No, I'm glad you're having some good skiing really. What a fuuny thought that you are skiing (Boarding) through small towns on your way down. Sounds funny to try to picture. Lova da alakanini breakfast! Perfect for you. Chow down with that! I hope you enjoy the opera! another funny thought!! (JK) Smooches and hugs!! Myyyyner

    ReplyDelete
  2. epic shreddin the gnr p0w p0w broha
    lolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kyle, We were gone all weekend and was so happy to see all the new posts and to read about the latest of your adventure. And what an adventure you are having!! I'm not a skier, but wow that sounds so fantastic and am glad you made it down the mountain so many times safe & sound! I am so grateful for this opportunity to go on this life altering trip with you and feel like I am really having the opportunity to get to know you all over again! We are so very proud of you and I can't wait to see you to hear more about your trip in person. We love you so very much - take care - talk to you later,

    Leli :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FUNNNN!!! can't wait for you to upload those pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that I have trained you well, son. Nothing like getting you full money's worth on the slopes, right? (You can thank Grandpa…I learned it from him) Good job! You almost sound as if you’re having too much fun, if that were actually possible. You sound like you’re having the time of your life.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kyle,
    What an amazing experience you are having. You are seeing so much. Did you make it to Salzburg? You mentioned skiing in Austria wondered if that is where you were. You have connected with so many people. Can't wait to hear about your next destination. Hope you stop in Venice on your way to Rome. We sure do miss you!!!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kyle... really, you are awe inspiring. The best part of my day is loading up on your days and nights - I laugh, I smile, I am touched. and too... so exciting Bryce is meeting you in Rome - ahhh you will love it what dates will he be there for his birthday?
    hmmm am wondering what the beer is like in Itally - you may have to switch your poison to wine (chado loved the wine!) hahaha sorry chester - actually we ALL loved the vino
    Lindz & Chester will be home for spring break in a few days - so excited to see them:) I was in Tucson a few weeks ago and we all Concur… FUN, FUN, FUN brrr, brrr, brrrr!!! xoxo nooni
    ps yes definately stop in Venice.
    pss :( no postcard yet
    psss are there congested blogging hours? taking forever to post!

    ReplyDelete