Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bavaria

Munchen was a lot of fun. I have been getting a lot of people from home asking me about the people I have met so far and what not. The truth is that in the hostels you meet sooo many people its hard to keep track of them all. It gets old telling my story to so many different people every day. Where are your from? What are zou doing in Europe? What did zou studz? etc. In Munich though I met a nice group of people. I think out of all local people so far, the ones in Munich are the most helpful and easiest to get along with. I was fortunate enough to meet a couple locals from Munich that showed me around and told me what to do, what food to order, what the best brewery was and all that stuff. There was also a couple people that I met who were traveling alone as well, and we ended up spending pretty much the whole time together in Munich. It was me a Newfoundland Canadian, a French Canadian, and an Aussie. We went on a walking tour together, traveled to a museum, went to the beer halls. It was a good time.

Munich is the most religious town Ive been in so far, and that might be whz everzone was nice. If zou take out a map in public people will come over and ask if zou are lost. The food is amaying. I could eat the spicz red bratwurst everz daz. I forget exactlz what its called. I also determined that the best Bavarian brewerz and beer hall is the Augustiner Brau brewerz. The Weiss beer is good, but so is everzthing else. I took the advice of a local and ordered a schweisswurst with a semmelknodel. It was a huge piece of pork and a potatoish dumpling. Verz good.

Bavaria has a lot more old historz and things to see, where as Berlins historz is relatively new. In Berlin people go out to clubs for loud music and people, in Bavaria thez just go to beer halls to laugh and have a good time. Thez are verz different cities. The pope is from Munich so I got to go see his home church and a giant statue of him. Prelude to Rome if zou will. Id saz Munich is a citz I could live in. I can onlz imagine how nice it is in the summer or oktober. Anzwaz Im in Frankfurt now stazing with Kathrine and her familz. Its nice to have a big warm bed to sleep in and a nice warm shower. I cant remember the last time I was in a car and it sure is nice to have someone to show me around the city. Ill post about this later and when I leave Frankfurt.

The next step on the journez will be me trzing to find hostels that are close to mountains so that I can snowboard throughout the Alps. I found a place in Bad Gastein, Austria that looks like a winner. Still searching for some place in switzerland that is affordable and near a mountain, since Swityerland will be the next stop. If you have anz suggestions let me know, Lucern? Interlaken? Both sound prettz good.

3 comments:

  1. In interlaken,t here is a hostel called balmers. It is world famous and usually has tons of people there. the city is built around adventure tourism and is extremely beautiful. Interlaken isn't really a big city, it is literally a small town in between 2 lakes. Lucern is a much larger city but still beautiful. I'd recommend interlaken if you're looking for nature, Lucern more historical sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle,
    Lucerne is beautiful. Not really a ski town but worth seeing. It will really give you a feel for Switzerland. I stayed in a town called Chamonix which is in France but near the Swiss border in the French Alps. It is a ski town and amazing. I thought it was vert friendly. They held the olympics there. So happy that you are enjoying the adventure!!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle,
    I have just met your mom in San Diego at my sister's wedding, Greg is my cousin. We have lived in Ramstein Village for 7 months now.(1 hour west of Frankfurt.) My husband is in the AF and we have 4 kids.(16-6 yrs old)
    I extended an invitation to you through your mom, if you need a traveling break, I know you are freezing. We are! It sounds like you already passed this way but you are welcome anytime for a home cooked meal.
    our number is 06371-59-8955 jansloan@juno.com

    Have fun in your travels. I will pray for more sunny days.
    Janet jeff josh jessica jared & justus

    ReplyDelete