Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mind the gap...

So I am in London.. and what a trip. When I landed here we heard the news that London has been experiencing crazy amounts of snow since the previous day. I thought that it would be pretty cold and would only mean that everything would be white and pretty. However, I quickly relized that London would soon be "ground to a halt" (the headline I read the next day). Anyway I still am having a great time in London and the snow has not kept me from exploring the city and I have done a great deal of wandering around the city. The 'tube' or underground subway here feels super old when youre on it, and its no wonder that it gets shut down when it snows. I felt like I was on the Matterhorn at Disneyland half the time I was riding it.. between the flashing lights and creeking tracks, it feels like at any moment everything could go wrong and I could slide off the tracks.

I have seen most of the "must see" attractions, my most favourite of all were the England Museum and the Parlement and Big Ben at night. Got some really good pictures from both of those places. I think my favourite time of the day was when I was waiting for dusk, and sat across the river from Big Ben and Paliament for an hour with my Ipod. It was a nice time to sit and think. I got a lot of reading and journaling in which will always make the day worthwhile. For those that dont know I decided to pick up "Whats so Great About Christianity" by D'nesh Dsouza (SP?), so far it is one of my favourite books that Ive ever read and has the potential to have a great impact on my life. The only problem is that I am breezing thought it quite easily and I dont know what I will read next. If anyone has a good intellectually challenging book that they can recommend to me... please do. I will probably be done with this one within the next week.

I also conquered another of my goals for London which was having a "real ale". This is an ale that is pulled from an oak cast and is not carbonated and is pulled from an oak cast. The beer has yeast that floats on top of it and continues to ferment the beer while it is in the cast. Needless to say it was amazing despite being served nearly luke warm. Its too bad I can not upload pictures on this computer else I would have a nice story to show.

As for the actuall flight it was a pretty interesting journey. It was probably the most physically uncomfortable journey that I have ever been on... this is due to the fact that my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me for the entire 12 hour flight. What made it bareable was the endless amount of movies, tv, and other entertainment that was available on the virgin atlantic flight.

The most entertaining story I can tell thus far is my fight night in the hostel. First of all the hostel houses about 200 people much more than I was expected. Fortunately it is a pretty nice place to stay and I cant complain at all about it so far. Anyway since I was unable to get any sleep on the flight I was extremely tired when I got here. I ended up going to bed at about 730 london time (since I had not slept for about 48 hours) via Tylenol PM. I went to sleep immediately and eventually woke up at 930. I felt refreshed and ready to explore the city. There was a peculiar thing thought, and that was that the light was on and there seemed to be some people that were only getting ready for bed. Needless to say the Tylenol did not do its job and didnt knock me out until the morning. It was a very confusing time and I really didnt know what to do. Fortunatly I was able to fall asleep farely quickly and was ready to put my tourist cap on for the next day.

As for that next day... I have explored the British Museum, the Tate Modern, St. Pauls, Parlament, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and Im sure Ive left out a couple places. London is pretty cool but it still does not feel too foreign. I guess its a good place to starty my trip. I have met a few people, especially at night when everyone hangs around the hostel bar. I am thinking about going to Oxford tomorrow to check out some CS Lewis sights. Sorry if this post is too straightforward, and also sorry if it has any spelling errors. I cant seem to find a spell check and the keyboards are a little different here. I am also rushing this post a bit because I only have about a half an hour on the computer. Anyway I hope this gives the just of my trip. Ill be in touch...
-Kyle

9 comments:

  1. Dude! I just finished D'Souza two nights ago. I'm stoked for you. And in your honor, we'll be playing PWick at group tomorrow night. XP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I like how you're spelling it "favourite." It shows up wrong on my spell check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds fun so far! how long are you going to be in Europe? Where are you off to next? I'm sure a lot of my questions will be answered in your blog so keep posting b/c i'm enjoying reading!! My friend Danielle Fischer (i think you've met her a couple times....)is studying abroad in Florence right now so you should facebook her if you decide to go there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KHHYYYLLLL, You mean to tell meeee you drank Ale that is an ale that is pulled from an oak cast and is not carbonated but is pulled from an oak cast? And that this Ale beer has yeast that floats on top of it and continues to ferment the beer while it is in the cast? That's Amaazing! Intro-duce yourrrself, who arrrre yyyyou???(LOL, had to do it)

    So happy to hear you're safe Kaud. Sorry you didn't get much sleep. It sounds like you're having fun and navigating well. Can't wait until you can upload some pictures! I love you! Have a beer for me. Sante!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll think of a great book for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry that I forgot to mention how difficult it is to sleep on those planes, I should have warned you. I am bringing some sleeping pills myself, so I can experience as much as possible =). Next time you're here we'll go to Magnolia, the pub near us that also has cask ales. See you soon and I'll look for a hotel in Paris shortly...

    To Lindsay, Kyle is off to Paris next for a week =) (I'm meeting him there)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahha love the matterhorn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowee Kyle - you have certainly seen a lot in a few short days. Did you go to Trafalgar Square - how about a tour to the "out" country like Stratford on Avon, or places like that. Don't know how much $$ you have alotted for tours, etc. But I remember when I went there it as very pretty country. I tried the beer there - didn't much care for it!! Anyway - you sure are getting a feel for the country and at least they speak the language so I think you are right - it was a good place to get started! Can't wait to see some of your pictures - and to read your next chapter. Love you - Lelia

    ReplyDelete