Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Paris

First of all sorry I havent posted in a while. It was really easy to find a computer while staying in hostels, but now that I have been at this hotel for a few days in Paris its tough to find somewhere to get on the internet.. other than checking email on my ipod when I find a wifi signal. As for the hotel we are staying in, its actually quite nice and in a great area. We are right on Rue St. Michele in the Latin Quarter so we are within walking distance to everything we can imagine. This is good except for the fact that my legs are still getting used to all this walking and my knees have been killing me lately.

When I first got into Paris I checked into a hostel in the Montramarte area. It was a pretty nice place with a nice atmosphere and tons of people living there. We were right on a little canal which made for some nice walking around. I got to Paris a few days before Chris since I had a friend studying in Paris I wanted to say hi to. She took us on a nice walking tour of everything, and I basically got to see all the major sights in Paris that day.

My favourite part of the city was when I was alone and walking around, I decided to take a stop in one of the many parks in the city. I was sitting on a bench doing some reading and writing, but mostly just watching the people walk by. I dont know if I was at the park when school was getting out, but it seemed like at least half the people walking by had young kids walking with them or were pushing strollers. The little french girls talking with their daddys in slured baby french is one of the cutest things Ive ever seen. So many people were teaching their kids how to walk and just having a nice stroll in the park. It was really nice. Cant wait to have a little daughter :)

I also decided to get my first nutella crepe at this point. Ok.. this is by far the number one thing everyone has told me to get while in Paris, so I automatically assumed it would be a real treat... but I was still not ready for how amazing it would actually be. My first bite fulfilled every expectation people have given me about the mystical nutella crepe, and then some. At this point Ive probably had about 10 of those little bits of heaven. I dont understand how everyone in Paris is not a fat ball rolling around with the delicious stench of nutella crepe oozing out their pores.

The fact is that French people, and the girls in particular are incredible. The majority of the people I see is so perfectly put together in every way. From the way they are dressed to the minimalistic makeup that brings out all of their best features, the girls here have a lot going for them. Its nice to grab an espresso and croisant and just watch everyone walk by. What helps them looking so cute is the weather. Its been brisk, and with rain off and on for the most part, but this is ok because girls just look cuter when they get to wear all their layers of clothes, and walk around with rosey cheeks.

Since Chris has been here we have done our fair share of pub crawls, have had a couple nice 3-4 course meals, and experienced a lot the city has to offer. The Louvre was amazing, and we are doing Musse D'orsay today which I have been looking forward to for a while. The most rewarding times are just walking around the city though, stopping every once in a while for a baguette or pannini, and doing our best to meet people. Oh there was a huge riot/strike thing that we could watch from our hotel room, I dont know if it was on the news at all. vive le revolution

After Paris Ill have a lot more time to blog and keep everyone updated, there is still a lot I can write about Paris.. so thanks for checking up with me. No spell check on this computer either >.<

6 comments:

  1. KRONGE!! Yes!! Finally!! Gosh paris sounds wonderful. I can picture the cute girls you've seen, just so your type. And...yes, you can wait to have a little girl, but it will be so wonderful when you do, I can't even tell you. Nutella, so funny! Remember the jars of Nutella I would buy and eat it with a spoon like peanut butter! MMMM so delicious. I may have to buy some in your honor. Everyone has been going through Blog withdrawls waiting with baited breath for your next entry. It's everyones newest passion! I wish you could up load some pictures. I bet you have some really awesome ones. So great to finally hear from you again. Soak it all in....and then Blog us all about it. I love you sweetiepie! MUUAAHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't concur with your Mom more!! Dale & I have been going through Kyle withdrawal - checking daily for the latest installment! Glad you are enjoying Paris so much - maybe one of these years I'll get to go! Not sure if I have ever tried Nutella - but will have to have Julie get some when I come out this summer! How's the weather been there? How much longer will you be staying in Paris? And then where are you off to! So exciting :) Glad you finally found a computer - and we'll be looking forward to your next entry! We love you - have fun, and talk to you later.
    xoxox - Leli :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm...tasty crepes. try them with banana and nutella, i hear they are deelish! dang paris sounds so awesome, i told my friend who stayed abroad in paris about your trip and she told me about basically everywhere you just said you've been so thats pretty cool cuz i can see from her pictures where you are sort of.

    miss you brother, and im trying my best to fish for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, those crepes sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle,
    I am so psyched for you! You already look European. Did you love the Musee D'Orsay. My favorite too. Sounds and looks like you are taking advantage of all Paris has to offer. I am glad that you are staying in the Latin Quarter. I bet you are wearing in those black boots of yours. Your Dad and I are really loving your blogs. Keep'm coming!
    We miss you, Jan and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyle failed to buy a nutella/banana crepe (but I did not) and he did have some =)

    ReplyDelete